Welcome Summer 2023 Scholars!
Dear Horizons Familes,
We are thrilled to welcome you to Horizons at The Ethel Walker School this summer!
About Us: We are a year round enrichment program for Greater Hartford Brown and Black Girls! Our six-week summer program runs Monday-Friday, from 8am-3:30pm and includes bus transportation, (pick-up and drop-off), from feeder school locations (Parkville and Jumoke).
Students will have a full day of academics including ELA, mathematics, literacy and STEAM, as well as various enrichment related activities including daily swimming, field hockey, dance, theatre and more. In addition, students will be taken to several field trips. Last but not least, students will partake in workshops focused on social emotional learning development. A daily, healthy breakfast, lunch and snacks will also be provided.
HEWS is the nation’s first all-girls Horizons program, serving under-resourced students in Pre-K through 8th grade who attend Hartford public schools. Horizons creates the conditions, connections, and community that enable every girl who attends to gain the skills, confidence, and motivation to overcome the opportunity gap and realize her potential
Program Dates: Monday, June 26th through Friday, August 4th
- 7:10AM: Bus Picks up Students from Parkville Community School (47 New Park Ave, Hartford, CT 06106) to transport to The Ethel Walker School (Please choose whichever bus stop is best for you and stick to it for both drop off and pick up)
- 7:15AM: Bus picks up students from Jumoke Academy (250 Blue Hills Avenue Hartford, CT) to transport students to The Ethel Walker School (Please choose whichever bus stop is best for you and stick to it for both drop off and pick up)
- 8:00AM: Breakfast
- 8:30AM- 12:00PM: Academics, Swim, STEAM and Children's Museum Activities
- 12:00PM: Lunch
- 12:30PM -3:00PM: Specials, Recess, Field Trips, Special guest speakers
- 3:35PM:Dismissal from program for Jumoke and Parkville drop off
- 4:00PM: Parents promptly pick up their students from the same bus stop they dropped them off at in the morning. If over 15 minutes late 3 times, you face the possibility of being asked to leave the program.
Please read through the Horizons Summer 2023 Family Handbook before coming to camp, this will help you stay informed about your child's Summer and your own involvement in it. Thank you!
Together we can provide a very special experience for your child. We look forward to an outstanding summer and many more to come!
All the best,
Horizons at The Ethel Walker School Executive Director